Are you a Student looking ahead to summer work? Are you an Employer thinking of hiring students this summer? Make a note of this date then – the application period for Canada Summer Jobs 2011 is from Feb. 1 to Feb. 28, 2011. Employers must submit their applications by Feb. 28th and students can expect to see summer jobs posted starting in March and April. Canada Summer Jobs is a Government of Canada initiative that provides funding to help employers create summer job opportunities for students. The initiative focuses on local priorities and the achievement of tangible results for both students and their communities. The good news is that as an extra boost to the program, the government is permanently increasing the program’s budget by $10 million. This added funding will create as many as 3,500 new jobs for students in communities across Canada. For this program’s purposes Powell River is part of the West Vancouver Sunshine Coast Sea to Sky Country constituency and states our local priorities as:
- Special Projects and community events where employers would like to hire students over the summer months
- Initiatives that leverage the benefits of the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics especially in West Vancouver, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler. In particular, the key benefits include:
- Organizations that promote foreign students
- Specific emphasis on expanding and promoting volunteerism
- Green and environmentally friendly improvements to our communities
Note: If there are other special events identified in the course of assessment they will be recognized in the assessment.
- Special emphasis on Squamish, Powell River, Britannia Beach and Sunshine Coast, where there has been substantial job loss and the community of Squamish
- Small business
- Pacific Rim investment and trade
- Work experience for youth at risk, youth with disabilities, youth working with seniors and youth experience with child care
For more information on this program visit: www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/epb/yi/yep/programs/scpp.shtml.