From our view point on Marine Avenue, we see the prawn boats out daily, the finishing touches underway on our Waterfront Revitalization Projects and step back when full logging trucks come barreling down the street.
Career Link’s website and social media channels posted, tweeted and shared 105 Powell River job opportunities – maybe that’s why our website traffic was our highest ever at 9004 visitors in May?
Our employment counsellors happily report that 65 Career Link clients found jobs in May, bringing our total for the year up to 305 employed clients – perhaps that number alone is reason for some readers to make an appointment with an employment counsellor too.
While it felt a bit quieter in the restaurant and retail sector after that flurry of job postings in the early Spring, the month of May had her own story to tell.
Here’s a job market snapshot as we captured it:
- Powell River’s hotels are seeking housekeepers and reservation attendants.
- We noted financial services businesses seeking Customer Service Representatives (a.k.a. Tellers) and Managers. Those jobs are usually posted on individual company websites because they want people to apply using their on-line feature.
- A number of new jobs in the education sector popped up ranging from ESL teachers at Camber College, Preschool Teachers and Educational Assistants at the Powell River Christian School to Instructors needed for the Fall at VIU.
- The Social Services field has opportunities for program assistants, coordinators and even employment counsellors.
- The landscaping industry is very busy with one landscaper telling us if you’ve got a mower there are lawns to cut.
- An aquaculture operator just hired 6 new staff and is hoping to hire one more person; ideally a recent grad from an Aquaculture Technician Program.
- Local labourers and contractors are working on Haslam Street at the City’s Drinking Water System Upgrade project. Career Link had a job posting for a Self-Erecting Tower Crane Operator as part of that project.
- Lots of employers took advantage of the government’s Canada Summer Jobs 2011 funding incentive to hire full-time students. Employers including Beach Gardens Marina, Family Place, Tourism Powell River and the Forestry Museum got word last week their requests were approved and they could go ahead and post their student jobs.
- We continue to have a number of local individuals posting casual jobs seeking child care providers, gardeners and housecleaning.
So what’s next? We are keeping our eyes and ears open for potential work at:
- The new Westview Elementary School building site operated by Yellowridge Construction. The Board for School District 47 tells us a job fair seeking labourers will happen soon and we may know more about this by the end of June.
- Invasive plant management work coming to the Powell River region under the province’s Take Action plan. We are waiting to hear final funding amounts.
- We were pleased to hear of plans to build a new complex care facility (replacing Olive Devaud) with construction hopefully starting in February, 2012.
Do you want information on Powell River jobs and employers? Maybe we have a contact name to help you make that first contact or you want to expand your job search list of potential employers; Career Link would be pleased to help! Just call us at 604.485.7958 or drop by 4511 Marine Avenue Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and we will work with you.