Information gathered from the Opportunities Fund’s website: www.oppsfund.ca
About the Opportunities Fund Program
The Opportunities Fund Program is a financial assistance program designed to assist persons with a disability obtain employment through:
- funding for training
- wage subsidy
- funding for adaptive equipment
- self-employment training
Financial Assistance is negotiable and varies based on individual needs of each applicant. It may consist of one or more of the following:
- tuition and books
- living expenses
- disability supports
- a wage subsidy paid to an employer
- self-employment training
- dependent care and/or child care
- adaptive equipment/tools
How can the Opportunities Fund help me?
FOR PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY:
- supports you while in training
- provides accommodations you may need to access the workplace and perform your duties
- wage subsidy terms are flexible and negotiable
- reduces hiring and training costs
- addresses accessibility and accommodation expenses
Read about some of the Success Stories with this program; click here.
Who is eligible?
To use the Opportunities Fund Program, applicants must:
- have a permanent disability as a barrier to employment
- be unemployed or underemployed
- be eligible to work in Canada
- not have received Employment Insurance benefits within the last three (3) years
- reside in:
- the Sunshine Coast
- Sea to Sky up to Pemberton
- Lower Mainland
- Fraser Valley up to Boston Bar and Hope
- Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands
Before applying to the Opportunities Fund Program, individuals will meet the following criteria:
- Be registered with a Case Manager (if you live in Powell River, reach Career Link at 604.485.7958)
- Have completed a job search using existing skills
- Have considered training programs that are short-term in nature
If you are not eligible, please contact your local Service Canada office.
Referrals to the Opportunities Fund Program are only received from Case Managers (if you live in Powell River, reach Career Link at 604.485.7958)
Case Managers help applicants:
- determine eligibility for the Opportunities Fund Program
- assist eligible participants to prepare applications for funding consideration
- support participants through training or while in a wage subsidy placement
- assist participants with job search efforts post-graduation from training
If you do not have a Case Manager, please visit www.workbc.ca (if you live in Powell River, reach Career Link at 604.485.7958)
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions regarding this program.
The Opportunities Fund For Persons with Disabilities is a program of the BC Centre for Ability funded byEmployment and Social Development Canada.