New to town? Welcome!
Here are some links to info you might find interesting in regard to finding employment:
- First of all, if you are not working or in school, OR if you are working fewer than 20 hours per week, we highly recommend booking an appointment with a Career Link Career Counsellor– drop by or call us at 604.485.7958 to determine your eligibility and to find a time that works for you. This is the best way to find out about local jobs, who is hiring or likely to hire, training, higher education, Wage Subsidy and apprenticeship possibilities, local resources, and recommendations on your current resume (if you have one, please bring it in on your first visit with a counsellor).
- The drop-in Career Lab (open 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday) contains our job board, newspapers and training/community boards, photocopier/scanner/fax/phone/printer and computers you can use for job search. There is help at hand from our crack team of Career Lab Advisors (Rob, Giovanni or Shelley depending on the day and time of day of your visit). Advisors are there to help you navigate technical problems, review your resume or cover letters with you, and to provide additional information and tips to help you land that job! The Career Lab offers free coffee, tea and snacks as well.
- Our own site has lots of info www.careerlinkbc.com; our blog is www.careerlinkbc.wordpress.com and our Facebook page — all very active with regional and local news and job postings. You can sign up to receive daily “Job Alerts” from Career Link via email! Click here. You will receive 2 emails once you sign up to confirm your subscription. If you do not receive these, please check your SPAM filter.
- Note that our Facebook page and on-site bulletin board at our location will display many more jobs than the job alerts (which contain only jobs that employers specifically ask us to post for them).
- Chamber of Commerce
- Powell River Living (general info) Magazine (back issues available online)
- City of Powell River (jobs with the City here) list of businesses here. Business Licencing.
- The Powell River Regional District (jobs with them here)
- New site on investing/living in Powell River Powell River Peak newspaper (job listings here and here)
- Powell River’s “Vital Signs” report 2015
- Some of our larger single employers in town are inclusion Powell River, Catalyst paper, Vancouver Coastal Health and School District 47, and The PREP Society (of which Career Link is a part); plus the larger retail and food service outlets (Safeway, Walmart, Tim Hortons, McDonald’s, Quality Foods, Save on Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart, Staples), and quite a few more assisted living organizations. If you drop by Career Link we can print out a list of them.
Again, employment counsellors are able to meet with you only when you are residing here, but anyone is welcome to use our info services ion our self-help lab. There are many community services available to you as well, via this great new website http://powellriver.fetchbc.ca
Hope this helps-