WCB needed for Odd Jobs?


Career Link contacted Worksafe BC on behalf of a client.  He was curious whether a homeowner needs insurance coverage to hire an odd job labourer.  (Paint a fence, mow a lawn, etc)  Below is the policy response I received.  Essentially, you don’t if they are going to do less than 24hrs work total on the project.  You should check with your homeowners insurance to see if they provide the coverage to prevent a lawsuit, but you are not require to secure Worksafe BC insurance.  You can purchase Voluntary Coverage for the project if you want the piece of mind.

If a homeowner is hiring an independent business (if they meet any of the following criteria): 

  1. They are a limited or incorporated company (i.e., they have Inc., Co., or Ltd. after their business name)
  2. They provide a service (e.g., gutter cleaning) and have multiple clients
  3. They supply all the labour and materials for a fixed contract price (e.g., they’re painting your house and all the paint is included in the cost) and they are not registered with WorkSafeBC, they are not protected from lawsuits — at least, not by WorkSafeBC.

They may, however, wish to speak with a private insurance carrier about personal liability insurance.

If they hire an independent business, they could be held responsible for the business’ WorkSafeBC premiums. So, before they hire an independent business, they should always make sure they are in good standing with WorkSafeBC. They can do this by getting a clearance letter from WorkSafeBC. It guarantees they are registered and making their payments.

If a homeowner is hiring a worker to work in or around your home, they may be required to register with WorkSafeBC — depending on what they’re hiring them for and for how long.

eg. I’m hiring the worker for…

* Before- or after-school care

e.g., babysitter, part-time nanny — specifically for before or after school care

He or she will work for me for … Do I need to register?

  • Less than 15 hours a week – No — but you can purchase voluntary coverage
  • 15 or more hours per week  – Yes

* Regular ongoing services around your home e.g., gardener, chef, housekeeper, caregiver for senior, full-time nanny

He or she will work for me for … Do I need to register?

  • Less than 8 hours a week – No — but you can purchase voluntary coverage
  • 8 or more hours per week – Yes

A specific one-time project around your home e.g., to clean the gutters, paint, or for a construction or renovation project

He or she will work for me for … Do I need to register?

  • Less than 24 hours* – No — but you can purchase voluntary coverage
  • 24 or more hours*  – Yes

If you require any additional information, please feel free to call our Employer Service Centre at 604-244-6181 or 1 888 922-2768 and ask to speak with an Employer Service Representative.

policy – Coverage under the Act – Employers – Assessment Manual 1-1-4 Coverage under the Act – Workers – Assessment Manual AP 1-1-5


Business Help

You’ve Made a Hiring Decision, Now What?

When you hire employees, refer to the following organizations to ensure you are meeting your legal obligations as an employer:


As the employer, you are responsible for ensuring you understand and follow each step involved in the payroll process:

  1. Register and maintain a Payroll Deductions account
  2. Ask each employee for his/her social insurance number (SIN)
  3. Have each employee complete a TD1 Form: Personal Tax Credits Return
  4. Calculate and deduct Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions, Employment Insurance (EI) premiums and income tax, and keep deducted amounts in a separate bank account
  5. Remit payroll deductions with your share of CPP and EI
  6. Report employee deductions on T4 or T4A slip by the end of February each year
  7. Complete a Record of Employment (ROE) upon employee departure
  8. Keep all records

For more information, see the Canada Revenue Agency’s Payroll Information for a New Small Business video series.

Also, for many helpful links: https://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/esaguide/


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: