Couldn’t make it the Powell River Public Library talk by Catalyst Paper on September 26th? Our own Rob Hughes was there and here are some notes he gleaned for us!
- Starting Oct 10 applicants will be required to create an online profile (see www.catalystpaper.com)
- Drop an updated resume to the gate every 3-4 months
- Every February Powell River’s Catalyst Paper starts hiring for about 40 people for the annual Spring Shutdown that is 2 weeks long
- Catalyst tends to hire most of the Shutdown staff into full time positions in the mill.
Skillsets Catalyst is seeking now:
- They are really looking for transportation certifications, so focus resume on these – Air Brakes(highest priority) Class 3, HEO, etc.
- New hires join the Labour relief pool and work full time hours until they post into an available position in a department of their choosing
- There is “more than enough work” to keep the relief pool staff full time hours
- Training wage is 70% of starting rate of $25.79 increasing by 10% over 2 yrs
- Trades people start at their industry standard pay rate
- Shifts for Administration, Stores, Lab and related support positions are Monday to Friday, from 7am-3pm and Trades and Paper-making departments work 10 TO 12 hour shifts, 2 days + 2 nights and 4 days off
- In Powell River, Catalyst Paper produces: Wax paper, freezer paper, butcher paper, paper bags, and paper towels